Monday, June 27, 2011

Back to the Motherland

Beautiful Longsands beach where professional surfing competitions are regularly held

 My cousin Michael, June, my cousin Wayne and myself on the promenade above Longsands beach

The half mile long Tynemouth pier and Lighthouse finished in 1895 with South Shields Lighthouse and Pier, which is a mile long, in the background

7th century Benedictine Priory ruins (on the left) with its 9th century fortified wall and castle, added to protect it from further attacks by the Danes, sits above King Edwards Bay

Rita bravely dipping her tootsies into the cold North Sea

  My full of life Aunt Mooly in her living room


Got up and out of the apartment early today as we were heading out of Edinburgh for a 2.5 hr. drive to my mother's birthplac in northern England to visit her sister and my two cousins.  Tynemouth is a pretty seaside town situated at the mouth of the River Tyne, not too far from Newcastle.  I have been there several times but it's a first for Rita.  We arrived earlier than our planned meeting so we had a delightful lunch at the Grand Hotel that overlooks the sea.  Had a lovely get together in the pub with my cousins Michael and Wayne and his wife June.  Went for a very nice walk along Tynemouth Pier before heading over to see my Aunt Mooly who is 90 and does not like to leave her house.  It was a wonderful visit and she definitely still has that mischievous sparkle in her eyes that I remembered the last time I visited her 15 years ago.  As it was getting late we said our goodbyes and headed back to Edinburgh.  It was a wonderful visit with Mooly, Michael, Wayne and June and I was happy that Rita was able to meet some more of my English family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment